Monday 10 February 2014

Art Tests

In order to get to grips more with the different art styles, I've been doing some studies of other artists work.


The pixel art study was the easiest and quickest study to complete.  It's quite a minimal piece so I mainly had to concentrate on the palette and where exactly each pixel should be placed.



This cel shading study was the second quickest to complete.  For the line art I made sure the pressure sensitivity was off as I was painting and made use of the lasso and fill tool on a layer underneath for colour.

The painterly study was definitely the most challenging of the lot.  Working in an artist's personal style was very difficult and I had to think very carefully about shape and colour.  I think I ended up going a bit overboard with my strokes and getting too absorbed in detail as the Bastion artwork is much more cleaner and smoother and also has a better grasp of tone.


The vector study was the second most challenging however this was largely due to being new to the software.  I've made silly mistakes here regarding details, gradients and the size of certain shapes however I think I successfully conveyed the form and personality of the creature and learned a lot whilst doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment